Today I walked up a massive hill a half a mile to catch a bus from West New York, New Jersey, to my comedy club in Hell’s Kitchen, New York City. From Port Authority, instead of taking subway two stops uptown, I walked another 14 blocks, about 3/4 of a mile. I’ll go home the same way, adding up to over two miles.
This is the second weekend doing this both Saturday and Sunday. Both weekends started and ended with a decent meal at home with a couple protein bars and lots of water keeping me going at the club between classes and shows.
Until this summer I bragged that I could walk down the hill to catch the light rail at one station to go to work. Coming home I could get off the train at the top of the hill and walk down.
Of course too often I called my wife to pick me up, or worse, drive in, spending $40+ on gas, tolls and parking.
Eating healthy may sound expensive but losing weight allows you to save a lot of cash in other ways.
How can you get more steps in you day?
I am not a traditional lover of gyms. I am slowly getting the addiction, as workouts get easier and results are obvious.
But I look for ways every day to avoid going by getting in steps other ways.
- Parking farther away than necesaary at the store, gym, work.
- Getting off the subway a stop or two early, adding a kilometer or more each way.
- Taking the steps, skipping the elevator.
- Doing core tightening of the stomach while driving etc.
- Skip the coffee shop, go for a walk. The oxygen and blood flow is much more effective than caffiene, anyway.